As an assistant professor, I teach courses. Here, you will find information about the courses that I teach.
Overview of my courses
EE2T21 – Data Communications Networking
Data Communications Networking is an introductory course to telecommunication networks. Telecommunication networks include local area networks, the Internet, and telephone networks. This is an obligatory course for second year students that are following the Bachelor Electrical Engineering at the faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics & Computer Science.
In this course, students learn to:
- Explain the functionalities with which modern end-to-end communication in data communication networks is achieved.
- Explain the architecture and design concepts that underlie the internet and its protocols.
- Perform elementary calculations and performance analyses on small networks.
- Implement basic mathematical coding and routing algorithms that have inspired error correction methods and routing protocols in networks.
- Chapter 1. Introduction to data communication networks
- Chapter 2. Local Area Networking
- Chapter 3. Error control and retransmission protocols
- Chapter 4. Architectural principles of the internet
- Chapter 5. Flow control protocols in the internet
- Chapter 6. Routing algorithms
- Chapter 7. Routing protocols
The students can earn 2 ECTS by taking this course. This is roughly equivalently to a load of 56 hours. The course is taught in just under 4 weeks. The course is therefore lecture intensive, and a high degree of self-study is expected from the students.
Prerequisites and dependants
No prerequisite courses are specified for this course. Familiarity is expected with the basic courses taught in the BSc program up to that point. The reason is that this course sits within the second year of our BSc program. The relevant courses include:
- EE1M11 – Linear Algebra and Analysis A,
- EE1M12 – Linear Algebra and Analysis B, and
- EE1M31 – Probability Theory and Statistics.
Follow-up courses that specify this course as a prerequisite include:
- EE4C06 – Networking, and
- IN4341 – Performance Analysis.
Here is the exam that students did on July 6th, 2018. This gives you an impression of the contents of the course.